(Here is the
If the beasts were all gone, man would die of a great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man, all things are connected. (Chief Seattle, 1854)
The most compelling reason for most people to buy a computer for the home will be to link it to a nationwide communications network. We're just in the beginning stages of what will be a truly remarkable breakthrough for most people - as remarkable as the telephone. (Steve Jobs)
The Internet will disappear. There will be so many IP addresses, so many devices, sensors, things that you are wearing, things that you are interacting with, that you won't even sense it. It will be part of your presence all the time. Imagine you walk into a room, and the room is dynamic. And with your permission and all of that, you are interacting with the things going on in the room. (Eric Schmidt)
Professor Yuguang ``Michael'' Fang
435 New Engineering Building
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Unversity of Florida
Phone: 352-846-3043, Fax: 352-392-0044
Office hours: 9:30-10:30am, Tuesdays and Thursdays or by appointment
Class time: T: 10th Period (5:10-6:00pm), Th: 10-11 periods (5:10-7:05pm)
Classroom: 330 Larsen Hall
TA: Ms. Yaodan Hu
Email: Yaodan Hu
Office: 444 NEB
Office hours: 9:35-10:35am, Mondays or by appointment
Textbook and References
- Textbook: Communications Networks: Fundamental Concepts and
Key Architectures, 2nd Edition, A. Leon-Garcia and I. Widjaja, McGraw-Hill,
- References: 1. Computer Networks, A. Tanenbaum, 3rd Edition (2nd edition is in fact better), Prentice-Hall, 1996. 2. Data & Computer Communications, any Edition, William Stallings, Prentice-Hall.
- Policy for minus grades: https://catalog.ufl.edu/ugrad/current/regulations/info/grades.aspx. Important notice: minus grades apply only to undergraduate students in this course.
- Homework submission instruction: Since we only have a grader for this class, please submit your homework in hardcopy at the due date in class. (8/15)
- Do you have the prerequisites? Check this (8/15)
Homeworks and Solutions
- Homework problem numbering from our textbook (US edition) is different from what from the international edition, please check with the correct set of problems before you work on them.
- Homework #1 (Due date: 9/4/2018) and Solution
Academic Honesty Statement
All students admitted to the University of Florida have signed a statement
of academic honesty committing themselves to be honest in all academic work
and understanding that failure to comply with this commitment will result
in disciplinary action. This statement is a reminder to uphold your
obligation as a student at the University of Florida and to be honest
in all work submitted and exams taken in this class and all others.
You are the visitor
since July 22, 1999.