Cognitive Radio Networks: Modeling and Optimization
CCSS:Collaborative Research:Stochastic Modeling and Optimization for Cognitive Radio Networks (ECCS-1129062), PI. National Science Foundation, September 15, 2011-August 31, 2015. This is a collaborative
project with Dr. Pan Li at Mississippi State University. University of Florida is the leading institution.
This webpage and the materials provided here are based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. ECCS-1129062.
The objective of this research is to develop network protocols and optimization
techniques to efficiently utilize the spectrum white spaces for cognitive radio networks.
The proposed approach is based on a novel cognitive radio network (CRN) network
architecture under which effective design methodologies can be developed to take better
advantage of cognitive radio technologies in harvesting and managing unutilized
spectrum for better service provisioning. In this project, we will first study the proposed CRN architecture to enable collective spectrum sensing and let the secondary service provider manage the harvested spectrum for better spectral efficiency while shifting the design complexity from the user side to the system side. We will then investigate how to split traffic over harvested spectral bands to balance the risk and reward, how to optimally utilize the spectral resource by jointly
designing frequency allocation and routing while supporting traffic demands, and how to
maximize the throughput by joint link scheduling and routing. The proposed research
outcome will lay the solid foundation for practical implementation of CRNs, which could
potentially revolutionizes the way how cognitive radios should be more effectively used.
The expected research outcome will significantly advance the state of the art in CRNs, opening a
new avenue to designing smart living environments for public safety, disaster rescue,
mobile healthcare and online social networks to improve peoples quality of life.
Research findings will be disseminated through publications and talks, and in classroom
teaching. This project will also actively recruit and train minority students for future
workforce and mentor junior faculty.
Personnel at UF
- Yuguang Fang, PI
- Haichuan Ding, PhD student
- Jianqing Liu, PhD student
- Hao Yue, Ph.D student (Graduated in 2015, now Assistant Professor with CS Department with San Francisco State University)
- Miao Pan, Ph.D student (Graduated in 2012, now Assistant Professor with ECE department with University of Houston)
Personnel at Collaborative Institution
- Pan Li, Mississippi State, PI
Papers in Refereed Journals
- M. Li, P. Li, X. Huang, Y. Fang and S. Glisic, "Energy consumption optimization for multihop cognitive cellular networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 358?372, February 2015.
- M. Li, S. Salinas, P. Li, X. Huang, Y. Fang and S. Glisic, "Optimal scheduling for multi-radio multi-channel multi-hop cognitive cellular networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 139?154, January 2015.
- Y. Long, H. Li, H. Yue, M. Pan and Y. Fang, "SUM: spectrum utilization maximization in energy-constrained cooperative cognitive radio networks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 32, no. 11, pp. 2105?2116, November 2014.
- M. Pan, P. Li, Y. Song, Y. Fang, P. Lin and S. Glisic, "When spectrum meets clouds: optimal session based spectrum trading under spectrum uncertainty," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 615?627, March 2014.
- M. Pan, H. Yue, C. Zhang and Y. Fang, "Path selection under budget constraints in multi-hop cognitive radio networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1133?1145, June 2013.
- H. Yue, M. Pan, Y. Fang and S. Glisic, "Spectrum and energy efficient relay station placement in cognitive radio networks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 883?893, June 2013.
- M. Pan, H. Yue, Y. Fang, and H. Li, "The X loss: band-mix selection for opportunistic spectrum accessing with uncertain spectrum supply from primary service
providers," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol. 11, no. 12, pp. 2133?2144, December 2012.
- M. Pan, P. Li and Y. Fang, "Cooperative communication aware link scheduling for cognitive vehicular ad-hoc networks," EEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 760?768, May 2012.
- P. Li, Y. Fang, J. Li and X. Huang, "Smooth trade-offs between throughput and delay in mobile ad hoc networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol.11, no.3, pp.427-438, March 2012.
- M. Pan, C. Zhang, P. Li and Y. Fang, "Spectrum harvesting and sharing in multi-hop CRNs under uncertain spectrum supply," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (Special Issue on Cooperative Networking Challenges and Applications), vol.30, no.2, pp.369-378, February 2012.
- M. Pan, X. Zhu and Y. Fang, "Using homomorphic encryption to secure the combinatorial spectrum auction without the trustworthy auctioneer," Wireless Networks, vol.18, no.2, pp.113-128, February 2012.
Papers in Refereed Conferences
- Y. Gong, Y. Guo and Y. Fang, "A privacy-preserving task recommendation framework for mobile crowdsourcing," in IEEE Globecom,
Austin, Texas, 8-12 December 2014.
- Y. Guo, Y. Gong, Y. Fang and P. Khargonekar, "Stochastic minimization of imbalance cost for a virtual power plant in electricity markets," in The 5th Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference, Washington, DC, USA, 19-22 February 2014
- M. Pan, Y. Long, H. Yue, Y. Fang and H. Li, "Multicast throughput optimization and fair spectrum sharing in cognitive radio networks," in IEEE Globecom, Anaheim, California, USA, 3-7 December 2012.
- M. Pan, P. Li, Y. Song, Y. Fang and P. Lin, "Spectrum clouds: a session based spectrum trading system for multi-hop cognitive radio networks," The 31th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM'12), Orlando, Florida, USA, 25-30 March, 2012.
Talks and Presentations
- "A Collaborative Design of Spectrum Harvesting Networks", Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, November 3, 2015.
- "A Collaborative Design of Spectrum Harvesting Networks", Huawei Technologies, Chengdu, China, October 21, 2015.
- "A Collaborative Design of Spectrum Harvesting Networks", Keynote, The 7th International Conference on Wireless Communications and Signal Processing (WCSP), Nanjing, China, October 15-17.
- "A Collaborative Design of Spectrum Harvesting Networks,'' School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Peking University, Beijing, China, October 12, 2015.
- "Cognitive Radio Networks: Design Challenges and Potential Solutions,'' Invited Talk, 2015 Workshop on New Frontiers in Control, Communications, and Computing (NFC3), Qinhuandao, Hebei, China, August 17-18, 2015.
- "Cognitive Radio Networks: Design Challenges and Potential Solutions,'' Keynote, The 10th EAI International Conference on Communications and Networking in China (ChinaCom'15), Shanghai, China, August 15-17, 2015.
- "Collaborative Design for Cognitive Radio Networks,'' Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Toronto, Canada, January 21, 2015.
- "Collaborative Design for Cognitive Radio Networks,'' Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Waterloo, Canada, January 19, 2015.
You are the visitor
since July 22, 1999.