Cognitive Capacity Harvesting Networks
NeTS: Collaborative Research: Cognitive-Capacity Harvesting Network (CNS-1147813), PI. National Science Foundation, September 1, 2011-August 31, 2014. This is a collaborative
project with Dr. Pan Li, Mississippi State University and Dr. Savo Glisic, University of Oulu, Finland.
University of Florida is the leading institution.
This webpage and the materials provided here are based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. CNS-1147813.
Due to the emergence of ever increasing diversified applications provided by the smart devices such as smart phones, traditional telecommunications systems such as the wireless cellular systems no longer meet the ever exploding traffic demand, and cannot effectively deal with the shortage of available spectrum or congestion over wireless systems. On the other hand, tremendous temporal and spatial network resources, such as spectrum and computational capability, are severely under-utilized. Obviously, how to proactively harvest such residual resources and utilize them opportunistically to support diversified user traffic is an important yet challenging research direction. Although cognitive radio networks are to address this pressing issue, there is lack of viable network architecture in taking full advantage of the opportunistic spectrum access and there exist many practical design issues to be resolved. In this project, we investigate a flexible Cognitive Capacity Harvesting (CCH) network architecture to intelligently harvest network resources in both time and space and develop the corresponding technologies to support users' services effectively. Moreover, we demonstrate the proposed CCH network along with the newly developed networking technologies can enable non-cognitive devices to significantly gain benefits from cognitive radio networks and provide innovative approaches to the cognitive radio networks design and optimization. This project research will open a new school of thoughts in better utilizing the residual network resources and potentially changes the design approaches for next-generation telecommunications systems.
Personnel at UF
- Yuguang Fang, PI
- Yanmin Gong, Ph.D student
- Linke Guo, Ph.D student
- Yuanxiong Guo, Ph.D student
- Morteza Shahriari Nia, Ph.D student
- Kaihe Xu, Ph.D student
- Hao Yue, Ph.D student
Personnel at Collaborative Institutions
- Pan Li, Mississippi State, PI
- Savo Glisic, University of Oulu, PI
- Dr. Fang delivered the keynote entitled "How to Effectively Utilize the Harvested Resource in Cognitive Radio Networks" on 13 August, 2013, at IEEE/CIC International Conference on Communications in China (ICCC'2013), 12-14 August 2013, Xian,China.
- Dr. Fang delivered the keynote entitled "How to Effectively Utilize the Harvested Resource in Cognitive Radio Networks" on 9 August, 2013, at the 8th International Conference on Wireless Algorithms, Systems, and Applications (WASA'2013), 7-10 August, 2013, Zhangjiajie, China.
Papers in Refereed Journals
- M. Li, P. Li, X. Huang, Y. Fang, and S. Glisic, "Energy consumption optimization for multihop cognitive cellular networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, accepted for publication, 2014
- M. Li, S. Salinas, P. Li, X. Huang, Y. Fang, and S. Glisic, "Optimal scheduling for multi-radio multi-channel multi-hop cognitive cellular networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, accepted for publication, 2014
- M. Pan, P. Li, Y. Song, Y. Fang, P. Lin, and S. Glisic, "When spectrum meets clouds: optimal session based spectrum trading under
spectrum uncertainty," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications,vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 615-627, March 2014.
- Y. Long, H. Li, M. Pan, Y. Fang and T.F. Wong, "A fair QoS-aware resource allocation scheme for multi-radio multi-channel networks," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology vol.62, no.7, pp.3349-3358, September 2013.
- Y. Guo and Y. Fang, "Electricity cost saving strategy in data centers by using energy storage," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol.24, no.6, pp.1149-1160, June 2013.
- H. Yue, M. Pan, Y. Fang, and S. Glisic, "Spectrum and energy efficient relay station placement in cognitive radio networks," IEEE Journal on
Selected Areas in Communications, vol.31, no.5, pp.883-893, June 2013.
- P. Li and Y. Fang, "On the throughput capacity of heterogeneous wireless networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol.11, no.12, pp.2073-2086, December 2012.
- M. Pan, H. Yue, Y. Fang, and H. Li, "The X loss: band-mix selection for opportunistic spectrum accessing with uncertain spectrum supply from primary service
providers," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol.11, no.12, pp.2133-2144, December 2012.
- Y. Guo, M. Pan, and Y. Fang, "Optimal power management of residential customers in the smart grid," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, vol.23, no.9, pp.1593-1606, September 2012.
- M. Pan, P. Li and Y. Fang, "Cooperative communication aware link scheduling for cognitive vehicular ad-hoc networks," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (Special Issue on Broadband Wireless Communications for High Speed Vehicles), vol.30, no.4, pp.760-768, May 2012.
- P. Li, Y. Fang, J. Li and X. Huang, "Smooth trade-offs between throughput and delay in mobile ad hoc networks," IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol.11, no.3, pp.427-438, March 2012.
- M. Pan, C. Zhang, P. Li and Y. Fang, "Spectrum harvesting and sharing in multi-hop CRNs under uncertain spectrum supply," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications (Special Issue on Cooperative Networking Challenges and Applications), vol.30, no.2, pp.369-378, February 2012.
- M. Pan, X. Zhu and Y. Fang, "Using homomorphic encryption to secure the combinatorial spectrum auction without the trustworthy auctioneer," Wireless Networks, vol.18, no.2, pp.113-128, February 2012.
Papers in Refereed Conferences
- M. Pan, Y. Long, H. Yue, Y. Fang, and H. Li, "CPTT: a high-throughput coding-aware routing metric for multi-hop wireless networks," IEEE Globecom, Anaheim, CA, USA, 3-7 December 2012.
- M. Pan, H. Yue, P. Li and Y. Fang, "Throughput maximization of cooperative wireless mesh networks
using directional antennas," The First International Conference on Communications in China (ICCC'12), Beijing, China, 15-17 August 2012.
- M. Pan, P. Li, Y. Song, Y. Fang and P. Lin, "Spectrum clouds: a session based spectrum trading system for multi-hop cognitive radio networks," The 31th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM'12), Orlando, Florida, USA, 25-30 March, 2012.
You are the visitor
since July 22, 1999.